Saturday 22 October 2011

Cooking applied to the overall framework 23/10/11



 Looking at an overall framework of the human condition there are different aspects of the labour of food. These include the ergonomics and affordances of cooking.
Ergonomics: At this current stage in my life as a tertiary student living in a flatting situation where I cook for myself there are several  social and environmental factors that influence and press on my cooking. The main environmental factors for me are that I have limited time and money to spend on food. This interacts with personal factors such as my values of eating healthy, eating vegetarian and being resourceful. The key social factors for me are that I am generally only cooking for myself and this removes the social pressures to impress others or to cook to their tastes.  

These ergonomics are what allows me the affordances of being creative and resourceful in my cooking. They simultaneously press and afford. I see it as challenge to be met to take the limited groceries I have in the cupboard into something tasty, to be in a way forced to make something new I have never tried before. To see the empty cupboard as an opportunity and not as a limitation. For this reason I enjoy going to the supermarket only fortnightly and I am given a sense of self satisfaction from the challenge I set myself.  I feel the same sense of satisfaction preparing something nutritious rather than buying fish and chips and this adds to my sense of wellbeing.  In this sense there is an element of spirituality in that “you are what you eat”.  What I eat represents my values. I feel wholesome and good when I eat good healthy food that I have made myself.
 My need is to be resourceful in making something good for me. This is why I do not reach for a packet of instant noodles. This creates a dynamic of moving from alienation or disengagement to being engaged in the occupation of cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment